Monday, October 19, 2009

Suicide Prevention Training Workshop Post, Part 2

I was thinking about this downstairs as I tried to clear my mind while separating pumpkin seeds from pumpkin innards. I guess this is what I wanted to say in the last post, in case it wasn't clear:


If you feel suicidal, I'm sorry. 
I hope you get the help you deserve;
I do care. 
I want to try to do as much as I can to help, but I'm not perfect, 
Just well-intentioned. 


If I don't notice, 
I'm sorry. 
Sometimes I notice that you're depressed but I don't know what to do; 
I'm sorry. 
Sometimes I notice you're depressed when I'm also depressed, and I don't have the emotional energy to do much more than just keep myself functioning; 
I'm sorry.  

Sometimes I can relate to you and your pain;
I'm sorry that you're going through this.
Sometimes I can't relate to your pain;
I'm just as sorry that you're going through this.

Sometimes I say the wrong thing;
I'm sorry.
Sometimes I can only look on helplessly, giving you the half-smile-half-grimace of sympathy like this :-/ ;
I'm sorry.
When you're feeling sad, or hopeless, or lost,
I really am sorry.


I do want to try to help,
But I don't always know;
I don't always know the perfect thing to do;
I don't always know what will make you better.
But please know that I care.
I appreciate you, and
My life would be emptier without you.

1 comment:

  1. I've thought all of those things, but only rarely been able to voice them or even put them into words. And it's hard to speak if you don't have the words.

    ReplyDelete