Friday, October 2, 2009

Book: "Trust After Trauma" -- Aphrodite Matsakis


This book was recommended to me by my therapist, and I found it extremely helpful. The copy I have is full of sticky notes. It gives a clear, comprehensive, but still gentle, nonjudgmental, and empathic treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder. This is a good book for both relationship and non-relationship issues, and has many sections that would also be relevant to a secondary survivor-- i.e. a friend or loved one of a trauma survivor.

Some of the topics covered are trust, guilt, revictimization/reenactment, the physiology of trauma, and coping techniques. Each chapter also has writing exercises and questions to guide your thought and healing process.

I definitely recommend this book to survivors and anyone who loves a survivor and wants to understand and help.

No comments:

Post a Comment