Monday, September 21, 2009

Introduction

Who am I? / Why am I writing this?
I am a survivor of rape and relationship abuse. I took a medical leave from college in spring 2008, my senior spring, for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). A year and a half later, I returned to classes, and now I am finally starting to move on with my life. Part of the healing process for me involves researching and writing about sexual assault, so this blog will focus on issues related to sexual violence and PTSD.

What will you find here?
There will be several types of posts, and I have tried to tag them accordingly:
  • Resources I have found helpful in my healing-- mainly websites and books. These will be tagged "sa resources." 
  • Emotional art that has touched me, including but certainly not limited to songs, stories, and movies. (Some are uplifting and empowering; others are heartstring-tugging and sad. I will try to describe them so you know what you're getting into.) These posts will be tagged "emotional media."
  • Issues and thoughts related to rape/sexual assault, PTSD, and abusive relationships/domestic violence.
  • My story, and the stories of other survivors who have given me permission to post them.
  • Questions to you, the readers. I would love to hear your opinions, suggestions, and thoughts.

I will try to keep my blog as sensitive as possible to the needs of survivors. However, I cannot promise that nothing here will trigger you. I am truly sorry if something does, and I hope you take gentle care of yourself.

While I am writing this blog partly for myself, I also want this to be a helpful resource for other survivors, even if just to know they are not alone. Many of my posts will be personal; this is not meant to make you compare stories or somehow feel alienated or invalidated. During my healing process, I found it useful to read personal accounts of other survivors, to see the similarities between our stories, and to know that I was not alone.

Thank you for reading. I would love to hear comments from you to know you are out there. :)

(Edited 10/2/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment